Salary – £26,250-£31,500 per annum
Working Hours – Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Location – University of Oxford (Southwell Building)
The University of Oxford is one of the world’s leading academic institutions, with research bases in several countries specialising in thousands of subjects.
The Thermofluids Institute – based in the Southwell Building – is one such facility and offers students the chance to practically demonstrate their learning through prototyping and developing designs, concepts, and ideas. The Institute workshop is the hub of this facility, and requires dedicated staff members to keep things running smoothly in a range of different capacities.
Our client is seeking a highly skilled, adaptable and self-motivated Machinist/Technician to provide full-time technical support for the department’s workshop.
The successful applicants should have substantial experience in conventional precision machining disciplines; having experience in CNC machining and CAD would be an advantage, although training will be given to the right candidate. He/she will also be responsible for providing technical advice, instruction and support to academic and research staff and students in the engineering workshop and laboratories. They will be proficient in the safe operation and use of a variety of mechanical workshop machine tools together with fitting and assembly skills.
To be successful in this application, the candidate:
- Must have experience working with CNC machines
- Must have served a recognised mechanical engineering/technician apprenticeship
- Must have experience working in a workshop or toolroom environment
- Should have a valid City and Guilds (or equivalent) qualification in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience working with milling machines, lathes and saws is preferable
- Experience working in an academic context is desirable
- A design background and the ability to read mechanical drawings is desirable
If you would like to know how we will store and process your data, please visit www.therecruitment-group.co.uk/gdpr-data-protection to read our GDPR Data Protection Statement.